Oscar’s persistent shoulder soreness is hanging around, though completely unnoticeable in the paddock and on our daily walks. I almost convince myself the horse is sound, and then I trot him up and am reminded that he isn’t. The trouble is that he is only ‘off’ on it a smidge, so nobody really takes me seriously when I ask for a second opinion. He’s currently turned out on ten or so acres, which he’s getting about on more than fine. He cantered away happily enough following his cyclossage session the other day which was promising. My problem is that I don’t want to exacerbate anything when I don’t know for certain what is going on.
I’m trying my best to get a reputable vet-physio out to see him; it’s just proving difficult to organise a time when she is in the area.
My first two choices are out-of-area specialists that travel in on six week cycles- luck would have it that they are both four weeks away from their next visits. My third choice is off work with a fracture, my fourth choice is seemingly uncontact-able at the moment.
Whilst I am itching to get the issue resolved (and continue riding!!) I’m not in any hurry to have just anybody show up and diagnose him, only to realise after a lengthy time frame that it wasn’t quite right. That happens a lot, it’s time wasted and I’d rather get the right person in the first time- even if I have to be patient for an extra week.
— I will add that if my horse was showing any signs of discomfort during turnout, I’d be more concerned with getting somebody out, the first person I could, than getting the right person out; just for the sake of an educated diagnosis.
We live quite close to the best veterinary clinic in the country, but of course our float issues are rendering us stuck on our own property and we’d need to travel in to fully utilise that option. That’s quite frustrating, but I listed the float for sale today so hopefully we’ll get some movement in that area pretty soon.
If I can’t get the vet-physio out by the end of the week, I’ve decided to just get the vet out for a lameness diagnosis and pursue treatment following that. It would be ideal to have it all done in one session, especially as we live in quite a remote town and it’s difficult to get people out here without paying through the teeth for it, but eventually you have to say enough is enough and do what you have to do.
So with that being said, I’m hoping for some progress this week.
In the interim, Oscar is just thrilled to be on a hand-walk-only schedule. He gets to snarf down a tonne of red clover and meet little bay racehorses on our daily adventures.
|Happy Days, for someone at least.|